Affiliate marketing has made businesses millions and ordinary people millionaires. -Bo Bennet
Before getting started, let me make you aware of what is Affiliate Marketing. It is a type of performance-based marketing. It means that a business rewards or pays you for every customer brought to the business by your own marketing efforts. It’s a kind of passive income. You can work on it in your free time. While commuting, while listening songs etc. you can do it. It’s a win-win situation for you.
So how does it work?
Let’s say you have a unique link of any product of a business, and the customer buys the product using your link(affiliate link). In this case, the business will pay you a fixed amount based on the affiliate policies of the business. Easy and rewarding, Right?
Yes, it’s easy and simple yet you need to make efforts, and my efforts, I mean honest efforts to get hold of genuine customers who really are interested in purchasing the product. One thing to note is that your customer has to make a qualified purchase.
An example of defining a qualified purchase.
- The customer clicks an affiliate link to purchase.
- The product purchased needs to be added to the cart in a single session following the above-mentioned click.
- The customer pays for and receives the product he/she purchased.
- The customer does not return the product. (This one is important)
Perks of doing differently…
There are numerous benefits of being an affiliate marketer. The best one is that it’s completely free. You don’t have to pay a single penny to join an affiliate program. Also, you need not provide any type of support to the customer. You can work from home and its best part is passive income which is generated when you start affiliate marketing.
So, let’s get started…
1. Choose your niche.
Firstly, you need to choose your niche. You are a photographer, then you can choose to work on photography related affiliate marketing. You can create a photography blog, add reviews of different cameras and accessories and provide your own affiliate links to make that passive income
2. Select the best Affiliate Business.
After selecting your niche, you need to find out the businesses and products which are best suited for your website or blog or your interest area. Some of the options for you are-
- Flipkart: https://affiliate.flipkart.com/
- Amazon: https://affiliate-program.amazon.in/welcome
- VCommission: https://tools.vcommission.com/affiliates/signup
- TripAdvisor: https://signup.cj.com/member/signup/publisher
- Cuelinks: https://www.cuelinks.com/signup
My personal preference would be Amazon.in. It is a booming eCommerce website and pays you a very good amount when you market their products.
Once you signup on Amazon Affiliates’ website, you will be shown some tools for marketing product research and link generation. There’s also a SiteStripe toolbar, wherein you can create an affiliate link for any page on Amazon.in.
IMAGE SOURCE: Amazon India Affiliate Website
Commission rates for Amazon affiliates vary from 0.3% to 12%. Well, Why? Because it depends on products which are bought. See newest commission rates here: https://affiliate-program.amazon.in/help/operating/schedule
Signup for a new affiliate account here: https://affiliate-program.amazon.in/welcome
3. Create a Website and add interesting content
You’ve set up your affiliate account. Now the next step is to create a website and making content relevant to your niche. If you have a photography website, you can create a blog post like ‘5 best DSLRs for Wildlife Photography’ and add affiliate links for each camera on your blog.
What will happen next? You have good content, you have visitors flooding in… and they are interested in buying a DSLR, they will go to the product page via your affiliate link and purchase it. Within a few days of their successful purchase, you will see the amount in your affiliate account dashboard, which you can en-cash later. Such an easy task it is. Isn’t it?
Ambition is the path to success. Persistence is the vehicle you arrive in. – Bill Bradley
You can create a Facebook page, an Instagram profile for the same website or blog, and share affiliate links there too. Drive traffic by optimizing your website using ‘Search Engine Optimization’ and market your venture by different methods like sharing links on WhatsApp or other social messaging applications. Share with your friends, relatives etc. to make more money. The more you share, the more are the chances of you being rewarded.
Tips to make more out of your venture:
- Regularly share affiliate links to relevant Facebook groups, Instagram profile, your blog and all the places where you think you can attract potential customers.
- Always share links relevant to the article or post you wrote about. For example, if you wrote about tips to take a good photo, include links for some camera accessories that you think will be ideal for potential buyers.
- Use Analytics. For example, Amazon provides a dashboard where you can track information like the number of visits to the product page, number of purchases, your tentative earnings etc.
- Use different sources for traffic. Take help of Google Adwords to drive traffic to a sales page. It is simple. You simply make an advert in your Adwords account and then use your affiliate link in the target page URL of the ad.
- Researching the demand for the product is a good idea. Also, if you have started driving a good amount of traffic to your blog, conduct online survey to know about what your customers need.
Affiliate Marketing is a good way to earn passive income. But as it is said ‘Hard Work bears fruits but patience bears ripe fruits’. Therefore to make a decent income from your venture, you need to have patience. It might take some time before you start getting any decent amount of traffic to your links. Also, the rates for different products are different. The rate fluctuates according to the business’ policies. Therefore you need to be aware of the rates and market links accordingly. Being updated also means to be aware of the latest trends in affiliate marketing. Last but not least, it’s worth giving an honest try if you are a student, a part-time worker or a homemaker to earn some extra pocket money.
Good luck with your venture…